Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Last Minute Thoughts...

It's hard to believe, but the Spring 2007 semester is already over. And I feel like I've just started...well here are what I like to call my "last minute thoughts" in regards to this course, music education, technology and everything else. Enjoy!

About Flash...

For general web authoring, Flash is useful in that it makes the website stand out and attracts attention, with interactivity. It makes the site different from other sites. When done correctly, it makes your site just that much more professional. Flash is definitely one of the more sophisticated tools available to web sites.

For music educators and in the performing arts professions, Flash is especially useful in that it can help music educators become more effective by improving teaching and learning in music. With Flash, teachers can integrate sound and notation in ways never before possible. They can develop interactive presentations that include text, graphics, animation, sound, and videos. Audio-visuals are helpful in that they promote and encourage student participation and stimulate creative and critical thinking. Multimedia technology helps students learn to better appreciate music as an art, and become participants in the joy of music-making.

About my accomplishments...

I think that the single most important thing I felt I accomplished in the class this semester is my blog. This is the first time I've ever "blogged" so it feels quite different and it's definitely a whole new experience for me. Maintaining a weekly blog was quite challenging at times due to the fact that I am not a writer and I find it hard to express my thoughts in a logical and coherent manner. Having to come up with new and interesting blog entries every week really helped to provoke my creative and original thinking skills and improved my writing skills. Writing my weekly blog post provided for me a fresh blank canvas for self expression. As the words formed sentences on the page, I felt a sense of accomplishment. All in all, blogs are a great way to practice and hone your ability to express yourself and your thoughts in print. Kudos to blogging!

About the course...


The strongest feature of this course is the course content and design. The course is well organized into three major lessons covering such topics as blogging, Flash and web authoring (Dreamweaver). The material is relevant to many of my personal and professional goals. Multimedia technology is not only advancing rapidly, but it also plays a part in everyday life as we are immersed in a world of multimedia experiences. As a result, it's of extreme importance to keep up to date with all these software programs.
Another strong feature was the interaction between the instructor and the students. I felt the instructor was easily approachable and was always willing to answer questions. And the concepts were explained on a level that students could understand and handle.

I would have to say that the weakest feature of this course would probably be that there is a large amount of material over a very broad range. There is just so much to learn in both Flash and Dreamweaver that it is difficult to cover everything in a relatively short space of time. It's definitely a lot to take in you aren't familiar with any of the programs/software.

No comments: